Elena Tolstaya was born in Moscow. It is interesting that there were not artists in her family before. Initially she was studying at the Moscow School of Art Crafts (1992-1994), at the age of 18 years she stayed there as a teacher of painting on trays. Then she entered the Moscow Pedagogical Institute, art-graphic faculty, where years ago the head of the Department had been a famous artist A. I. Laktionov. She was engaged in painting with Professor A. Unkovsky. Later she continued studying at the extension courses in the Academy of Arts named after I. E. Repin.
Currently she is a lecturer at the Moscow Pedagogical University.
Paintings by Elena Tolstaya are characterized by the continuation of the best traditions of Russian realism. A distinctive feature of the Russian artist is his ability to vividly express sophisticated state of nature. Elena paints from nature images that inspire her and cause positive emotions: game of sunlight, the freshness of flowers, the charm of Russian landscape. Primarily she is a colorist and oil realistic painting should have scenic qualities. Her paintings have a good color scheme. Looking at portraits you can feel not only the nature of the characters, their personal charm, but also artist’s sympathy for them.
In 2012 she participated in the International plein air on painting in Mogilev, dedicated to the 150th anniversary of the birth of the artist V. K. Byalynitsky-Birulya.
Since 2010 she is a member of the Union of artists of Russia.
List of exhibitions:
- 1999. - Exhibition "Young talents", Exhibition hall in Pavlovo - Posad.
- 2001. Women's exhibition at the Moscow Union of artists.
- 2006. - Youth exhibition of Moscow Union of artists Russia "Love and family"
- 2007 - Personal exhibition "All colors of life", Exhibition hall "Rostokino"
- 2007.- The exhibition "A. A. Unkovsky and his disciples" Exhibition hall "Vykhino"
- 2009. - Exhibition of women artists of Russia "Spring salon - 2009"
- 2009 - Exhibition " Shades of feeling and inspiration of color...", Exhibition hall "Tushino"
- 2009. - Exhibition of creative works of artists-teachers of Moscow state mining University named after M. A. Sholokhov, Exhibition hall "Vyhino"
- 2010. - Exhibition "Russian nature", Gallery "Chertanovo"
- 2010 - Personal exhibition " On the wings of beauty, which giving birth to love..", "Serpukhov historical-art Museum."
- 2012 - The Russian - Indian exhibition in New Delhi. Russian centre of science and culture in New Delhi.
- 2012.- Personal exhibition "State Memorial History and Art Reserve Museum of V. D. Polenov”
- 2016. - Exhibition "To the lovely homestead, leaving the noisy city..." the Museum - farmstead «Arkhangelsk».
Paintings are stored in Mogilev art Museum named after P. V. Maslennikov, in the Serpukhov historical and art Museum, in private collections in Russia and abroad.